How To Get Your Trucking Authority

If you decided to become a truck driver to be your own boss, you might still find you are at the mercy of the transportation companies. Although you have the freedom when out on the open road, you still ultimately have a boss to answer to at the end of the day. However, if you really want to become your own boss, getting your trucking authority could be ideal for you. When you have your trucking authority, you are authorized to operate your own trucking company. Issued through the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), you really can enjoy all the freedoms of running your own trucking company.

trucking authority

The Types of Authority

The type of authority available is based on the type of cargo hauled. In some cases, you might need multiple authorities if you wish to expand your loads. As well, depending on your state, you might also require Intrastate Authority to move loads from state to state.

Applying for Your Authority

To apply you must complete the OP-1 or OP-1(P) form, the BOC-3 form, and pay the application fee. The fee will vary from state to state. Make sure you have your truck information handy such as VIN, year, weight, etc. You will also need a tax ID number, incorporation details, and license plate information if you have one. You must complete the Motor Carrier Identification Report (MCS-150) and Safety Certification Application, at which point you will then receive your USDOT Number. This number is needed if you want to use a vehicle for interstate commerce to move freight. Need help with your trucking authority, contact Evilsizor & Associates.


Once you complete these forms, there is a mandatory 10-business day dispute period. During this time, your application is posted to the Federal Register and anyone has the right to protest your authority. If no one questions your application, after 10 days, you have to post proof of insurance and your BOC-3 form. Once reviewed, the FMCSA will send a letter confirming your approval and you can move on to the next steps.

UCR Permit

With your USDOT and MC Number you can apply for the Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) system to provide verification you have active insurance coverage for the states you wish to operate.

Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT)

This tax is assessed annually for all heavy vehicles operating on public highways. You have to complete Form 2290, and the OOIDA worksheet before you can agree to the International Registration Plan (IRP).

Register for an IRP

The IRP is required if you plan to participate in interstate transportation. This agreement covers contiguous states and Canada with payment towards necessary licensing fees based on how far you travel across these jurisdictions. Once this is complete you can move onto setting up your International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) account.

Your IFTA Account

The IFTA is another agreement, this time dealing with fuel tax collection. Your account allows you to travel between jurisdictions and provides each area revenue towards the roads and transportation departments.

Additional Permits

The states of Kentucky, New Mexico, and New York require extra permits for weight distance while Oregon requires a permit and a bond. As well if you have a contract to move military, government, international, or intermodal loads you’ll also need a Standard Carrier Alpha Code (SCAC).

Why Get Your Trucking Authority?

Many truckers don’t think in terms of the next steps when it comes to their careers. However, it might be time to take things to the next level. Not only do you find total independence, but you can also see a very respectable raise in pay. Although you have to be willing to take on more responsibility, you have the opportunity to work solo or grow your own fleet of trucks and drivers.


Give us your opinion!

Comments are closed.