What do I need to do to get operating authority?

To get your interstate operating authority and take advantage same-day electronic filing service (no additional charge) just fill out DOTAuthority’s on-line questionnaire through their website: DOTAuthority.com. They will file your application with the correct federal government agency. You should know that there is no longer an Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC). It was dissolved by Congress in 1996 (Interstate Commerce Commission Termination Act). Applications were then handled by the Federal Highway Administration for a short time but are now no longer processed by that agency. There are now two agencies under the USDOT that perform the remaining licensing, insurance and tariff/complaint review functions that were formerly performed by the ICC.

If you would like to speak with a representative before you move forward with your on-line application, call (888) 414-1874 or visit DOTAuthority.com.